Saturday 23 May 2015

Yes, desperate actresses offer sex for role! –Mary Uche

Star of Adam’s Desire and gradu­ate of Theatre Arts from the University of Port Harcourt, Mary Uche, in this chat with Christian Agadibe, ex­poses what actresses do to secure roles among other issues.

Excerpts:

Tell us about yourself?

My name is Mary Uche. I am from Abia State. I graduated from the University of Port Harcourt. I studied Theatre Arts and I am now practicing. My dad and mum are alive and I have five siblings.

How did you start acting?

That was in 2008 when I was still at the Univer­sity of Port Harcourt. Could I say my acting career started as a miracle? I keep saying this because I had this junior friend that was in school with me in the same department. She kept singing to her brother about this girl in her school who could really act. The brother told her that if I am really good, I should come for audition. One thing led to the other and I ended up in his office. He gave me a script to read and bingo! I landed my first role ever in City Girls, alongside Jackie Appiah. The same guy gave me my second role in Adam’s Desire. I was on set with Monalisa Chimda and Jonjo Melo.

Could you describe your first experience before the cameras?

I wasn’t nervous because acting has always being something I have passion for. Apart from studying Theatre Arts, acting is in me so I did not panic at all.

What was your experience acting alongside a big star like Jackie Appiah?

It was smooth and it was fun. She is a good person with a large heart. She encouraged me and made the work as easy as pie.

Did your parents or anybody try to discourage you from acting?

Right from my secondary school days they knew what I would become. I am very different from my siblings just as they are so different from me. They knew it was my calling so they just left me to chase my dreams and encouraged me.

What movie would you say brought you to the lime­ light?

It was Adam’s Desire because it is a movie everyone who knows me today has seen. I played alongside Monalisa as her daughter. To this day, everywhere I go people keep saying ‘hey, that is the girl that acted inAdam’s Desire.’

What is your selling point?

I guess it is my legs. I flaunt my legs a lot. I know I am beautiful and I have great legs which set me apart.

Definitely your legs must have put many men into trouble. How do you handle your male fans?

I treat them like every other person who cherishes me. I love friends and I love making friends but I need to be very careful.

What were the challenges you had as an up-and-coming actress?

Challenges are everywhere. I wouldn’t say it is just me going through challenges. Sometimes you look at the industry and you feel sad. You know this is your passion and you know why you came into the industry but all of a sudden, you see some people that you know are not just good and have no business acting getting all the roles especial­ly at auditions. Then you keep asking your­self ‘what’s up?’ But the truth is that some of them, like they say, offer money. Others offer their bodies, that is just it. And then you see yourself lagging behind. But I still believe that when you know who you are, you will stick to your guns and remain focussed. I keep telling people that staying focused is key. You also need to know what you can do and be prayerful.

When you go through these depressing experi­ences, what keeps you going?

It is only prayers. I do a lot of praying; that is what keeps me going. But I know that God has been so faithful. It has been God all the way; that is the truth.

What movie gave you the greatest challenge?

It was Unknown. Though, it is not yet out, I played the role of a univer­sity girl who was dating a cultist. I pulled a lot of stunts, jumping and hopping around and I ended up breaking my arm so it was really chal­lenging for me. I can’t wait for this movie to be released because it was really chal­lenging.

As an up-and-coming actress, which actress did you look up to?

I love a lot of them but in Nollywood, I would go for Rita Dominic. I see her as someone that really interprets her character very well. To me, she is real­ly outstanding. Genevieve (Nnaji) is also good but I will go for Rita Dominic any day. But in Hollywood, it is Angelia Jolie all the way; she is my role model.

What is that thing that could make you reject a script?

Going naked; baring it all.

Have you turned down any script because you were told to act nude?

No, it has never happened to me.

What if the role has an important message and it could get you an award, would you consider it?

It depends on the kind of nudity we are talking about here; if it is shooting me nude from head to toe, the answer is no.

Can you go topless in a movie?

No, I cannot (Laughter).

Are you single, in a relationship or married?

Do I look married? Well, I am single but why would you look at me and ask if I am in a relationship? Of course, I am in a relationship.

Who is that lucky man in your life?

That is personal.

Aside the Mary we see on screen, who is the real Mary Uche?

Mary Uche is a very simple person. She is real and God fearing but she could be troublesome at times.

What has been your saddest moment in life?

That was when I lost an eight-year relationship. Let us just leave it at that.

Did he promise you marriage? What happened?

I wouldn’t say we were looking to get into the husband and wife thing. It just happened and I just felt bad. It is an experi­ence I learnt a lot from. It has taught me to be contented with anything I have.

Was is it because you were an actress?

No, let us not go into that. It is an old story. I wouldn’t want to remember it because it is personal.

What kind of man would you want in your next rela­tionship?

A simple God fearing and loyal man.

Have you come across any producer or director trying to sexually harass you?

The answer is no. I keep telling people that when you know what you’re doing and you’re good at what you’re doing, these things will not come to you.

Can you marry an actor?

Why not? I don’t mind because he knows what I do and I know what he does. I think we will be very comfortable with each other because we won’t be listening to rumours.
source;Sun

No comments :

Post a Comment