Thursday 8 December 2016

Women Pose Naked In ‘Censored’ Tape To Protest Facebook’s N*dity Rules

Photographer Trina Cary is fed up of being told that her naked body is unacceptable. Last year, she took her first set of nude self portraits in her friend’s room.

Feeling inspired and confident, she built up the courage to share those photos on Facebook, and quickly received more likes, comments, and shares than she had ever received on a photograph.

‘This was right where I was supposed to be,’ Trina told metro.co.uk. ‘Baring it all to the world. Showing my soul to others to help them grow.’

Her photos went viral. Her followers grew.


But every time she posted a nude self-portrait, that photo would quickly be reported – despite Trina taking the time to censor every image so it doesn’t violate Facebook’s community standards.

Last week she posted a photo with her hands covering her breasts, naked but with a patch of thorns covering up her genital area.

‘I darkened my lower half so that you couldn’t see anything at all even if you zoomed in on your phone,’ said Trina.

‘I loved this photo. I felt like me in it. I felt strong and beautiful. I was so delighted to have gotten one good image from my self portrait session and was so excited to share it with all of my followers.’

Within ten minutes of being posted, the photo was reported. Trina then received a notification telling her that she had been banned from Facebook for seven days due to ‘inappropriate content’.

‘This created a storm inside of me,’ said Trina, explaining that she was ‘outraged’ that her photo had been banned even though it didn’t violate any of Facebook’s expressed rules.

Being banned for seven days caused issues for Trina in her professional life, preventing her from contacting clients she had traveled to do a photoshoot with.

‘I had other clients who were in the middle of talking with me who thought I had unprofessionally blocked them,’ said Trina. ‘I was helpless. I couldn’t fight it.’
Trina used that anger as motivation.

Fed up of seeing videos of naked men, sexual and suggestive images, and violent pictures shared on Facebook without any issue, while her artwork was banned, Trina decided to stage a protest.

She posted a callout on Facebook, inviting women to join her for a nude photoshoot.

30 women responded, and the group headed to a stark rock quarry in Kelowna, Canada, to strip down entirely nude – apart from ‘censored’ tape covering their breasts and pubic areas.

No comments :

Post a Comment